Thursday, August 27, 2015

Breathe the mountain air

In the next two weeks I am going to attempt the Mt. Whitney hike. These mountains are one of the most preserved natural parks in the U.S., devoid of all human activity. I am very excited to see such a place. Sources say that it has breathtaking views of the mountain and the sun, and all that nature has to offer in that terrain.
I have grown to like breathing the mountain air. They are so pristine. I get transported to a different epoch. The serenity and calmness that the magnanimous scale of the mountains bring is just humbling experience. I cannot describe it. You have to see it, feel it, smell it. I don't know if I will ever live in the mountains. Or if I will still like it as much if I do. But this is the feeling I have at the moment.

The hike involves walking 11 miles up to the peak of Mt. Whitney with an elevation gain of 6200 feet. The summit is 14,500 ft. And then return on the same trail. This has to be done in a single day because we don't have a permit to stay longer than that. Entry is highly regulated into the reserve. All in all a very strenuous activity for my lean figure. But I hope the view from the top will be worth it. The feeling of accomplishment combined with the sheer beauty of mountains is what I am thinking right now. There is no feeling parallel to it. I've been preparing for it throughout the summer. I've heard stories about people attempting it and coming back mid-way for various reasons. Someone told me about a guy who completed in his fourth attempt. This puts a little doubt in my mind but I have to quickly dispel it before it grows. I have realized that a good part of physical capability is mental. So I can at least get that going. :)

Currently I am nursing a pulled muscle in the neck. It shouldn't last more than a week; which gives me enough recovery time. The D-day is September 7. Wish me luck! Or at least wish clear skies.

No comments: