Thursday, July 18, 2013

Problems?

Problems, problems, problems. Problems aplenty. Who doesn’t have them. Life is full of problems, isn't it? Yes it is. Of course. I have a secret formula to make all your problems evaporate into nothingness.
Read the stories from the other side of the fence that Gaurav tells here. Excerpt bellow.

"For Mr Ramesh yadav, pulling rickshaw is a child’s play; something which can be handled by his left hand alone. He never misses his right hand! He is pulling rickshaw for the past 10-12 years. With the combined income from rickshaw and the 3-4 beegha farmland in his village, he educated his children and arranged for the marriage of his two daughters!

I wasn't able to maintain an eye-contact with him when he said “इंसान को हौसला नहीं खोना चाहिए” (one should never lose courage) because I had tears in my eyes."

Read the full original article in hindi on BBC. Or read the english translation of the same at Gaurav's blog.

Okay by now if you still feel your life is full of problems then read about the "The Sacrifice of a Rickshaw-walla".

If you still feel your problems are big enough then you are just being unreasonable.

You know most of our generation (including me) , among the people I know, will never experience what necessity is. For them necessity is galaxy s3 or iPhone 5 or xbox or a new car. To KNOW what it is you will need to go the other side of the fence.

If you still haven't closed this tab then may be you will appreciate a little bit of political crap I get into time to time. It is about what A Sen and Jeane Dreze have to say in "An uncertain glory: India and its contradiction".

Sen and Dreze basically argue that the reason India contributes to 43% of children's death due to hunger in the whole world is because we don't have state subsidies in education, health and infrastructure. If govt. invests in these three areas they will help reduce the inequitable distribution of wealth. But govt. is more interested in votes than wealth distribution.

So what's the way out? As long as there are people working towards this goal there is hope. If you and I become apathetic to the cause and give up then the apathetic and pessimistic people who say "this-country-is-going-to-hell" win.

I hope to see the day when people form protest rallies for better healthcare system or better education system than for more diesel or petrol subsidies. That will be the day when "this-country-is-going-to-hell" people will be proselytized.

I don't know if I can do that on my own. In fact I'm not doing anything positive about it except ranting my thoughts on a blog which, at best, is read by handful. I only wish I can convince more people.

Noam Chomsky said in one of his interviews "what is striking about India is the indifference of the privileged class towards unprivileged class".

No comments: