Wednesday, July 24, 2013

CS Camping

When I told a friend that I hosted a stranger at my house without any connection whatsoever, she was surprised. When I told her that I went camping with a bunch of strangers for 2 days she didn't believe me. She did not expect me to do things like that. Well to be honest I did not expect it too.
But you know I'm that kind of person who likes to surprise people. I would do something totally not expected of me. Just for the heck of it.

So if you remember few posts back I started doing everything which negate my form shaped in life so far. Things I never thought I would do. To be honest I still don't have the answer to why exactly I am making the self-negating choices. May be just to surprise you. May be just to reassure myself that I was not-doing the things-I-don't-do by choice, not that I can't. I am not sure. All said there are moments when out of nowhere I would start missing being my old self. Introvert and enjoying solitude.

Here is what I did for the weekend. If you don't know what Couchsurfing.org is about, it is a website where you get to meet and connect with locals and travelers in your city and/or be guest when you travel. The beauty is that you are meeting total stranger. It is like facebook except you go talk to your friends instead of checking out their 'wall' passively. I went to a 2 day camping trip near my town and befriended a lot of strangers. 2 days in the wild I connected with people really well. It was a big group, some 30 odd people. It was difficult to meet everybody the same way but then some were there just to get drunk and date free of cost.
It was overwhelming to meet so many people outside of school. In school we are friends with very homogeneous group of people. They are all nice people, one of the brilliant minds, nothing against them. But when I look back and count how many friends I have in my town who are not in school (or their spouses) the answer is a whole number which is not a natural number. I think you get to learn so much by interacting with a heterogeneous group of people. I thought I could use a little diversity in my friend circle.

Anyway, here is a group photo of part of the group. I hope they don't mind the picture here. As someone in the group noted, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.


No comments: